Saturday, June 14, 2008

Slinky Vertical


Here is a good use for a Slinky. Well as far as a Ham is concerned. I stretched one out over three sections of 3/4 PVC pipe. I made it so it would almost touch the ceiling. The three sections where just long enough to fit in my suite case. I took it with me to Tempe AZ. I worked a hand full of stations on 40 meters with it right where it sits in the living room. I used wooden dowel rods at each end to stretch the Slinky. I drilled small hole near the ends of the dowels, and threaded the slinky through then. I soldered an aligator clip to each lead of the coax, and cliped the center lead to the base of the slinky. The sheild went to ground radials that were spread out on the floor. Of course you'll need an Antenna Tuner. It worked for me. Far from the best I have ever used, but it does work.

No comments: